Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Autumn Laziness

Today was a fun day. I spent a good portion of it outside with the littles just enjoying the weather and sunshine. I always feel a little sad that Summer is coming to an end, but I have to admit the air never smells quite as sweet any other time of the year as it does in the Fall.

It's crisp feeling and lightly scented with woodsmoke and cut corn from the fields. At least that's how it is in my neck of the woods, anyway. My smallest babe had a blast walking through the fallen leaves and listening to them crunch underfoot. My little man spent the time making small piles of leaves and then with the help of his baby sister, demolishing them.

I, on the other hand, sat around watching them play and reflecting on the things I managed to finish this Summer and on the things I'd still like to accomplish before it turns much colder. I think Monday I'll try to compel Nai into going to the Nature Center with the kids and I after school for a short hike and a picnic dinner.

I spent the morning running errands and I also managed to squeeze in a visit to my favorite Thrift. It was a pleasant coincidence then, that I ran into my parent's and they treated me and the two littlest kiddies to lunch.

When I came home I decided to unravel another sweater so that Taylor could try her hand at dyeing yarn, since she's been asking me all week for the chance to.

FYI:

Unraveled yarn that has been tied into hanks but hasn't yet been placed in water would make an awesome collar for a Shakespeare costume.

I think the colors turned out very nice, although the blue/orange ones are different intensities of the colors she dyed them. She did a great job for her first try though! I'll have to post those pictures my next time through here.

I've also decided I need to do something about my hair. It's just so blah. Don't mind the sour expression on my face. I couldn't tell if the camera was about to flash or not. I'm just happy I kept my eyes open! Any suggestions with what I could do with barely tamed nest of knots would be greatly appreciated!


Tomorrow is going to be a slightly crazy one. I have to bake our weekly loaves of bread but I also need to finish making my apple butter and applesauce. We'll also be going to our Annual run through at Shaw Farms http://www.shawfarms.com/ for pumpkins. We'll put up some Pumpkin butter, bake some pies and toast the seeds with just a pinch of sugar and cinnamon.

No comments: