Sunday, January 18, 2009

Yarny Love... as opposed to Corny Love

Okily Dokily, so as I mentioned earlier I have a new spindle. I bought it with the hopes of being able to turn fluffy cloud like sheep-ish-nish into devine yarn.



That didn't exactly happen. I did have the sheep-ish-nish, and I did turn it into something. While that something does vaguely resemble yarn it isn't exactly what I'd call devine. I had fun though and think I'm hooked so it works out okay in the end.



I will say this, it's nearly impossible to spin with young children hanging about. Maybe just my young children? Your young children might be okay to have around while spinning. I'd offer to trade for a week so I could do a comparision but I'm much too nice to subject anyone to thier doofus little selves for that long.



I will say this though, hiding a handful of chocolate kisses around the room and then encouraging the kidlets to "Go find them and you can eat them!" will buy you just a little time to yourself.



That brings to me another little tidbit I've learned. Children can find a handful of scattered and hidden chocolate in under 6 minutes. Doesn't matter where you hide them, they'll find them. On the other hand if you're running late for an appointment and you ask them to get their shoes out of the closet where they are supposed to be kept, they will come back 20 minutes later without a clue as to where the shoes could be. You will end up on your hands and knees looking in the closet for ten minutes trying to find the shoes yourself to no avail.



Even though the little darlings have no fewer than five pairs of shoes they will all be missing a mate except for the pair of dress shoes covered in mud that they wore to wade in the creek at Grandma's house last weekend.



So... muddy crusty dress shoes or an odd combination of one rain boot and one sandal? I usually choose the latter, after all if I let them wear the muddy ones they'll just track that all over the house giving me more work to do.



But I digress, back to my tale of the spindle. I absolutely love it. Definitely not the easiest thing to work with but ever so fun to do and it also leaves you (or me, at least) with this bursting sense of accomplishment. I mean, I've crochet oodles of things. Now I'm going to be able to crochet oodles of things with yarn like stuff that I've made with own two hands. And both my knees. And my foot. And the crick between my shoulder and neck... it's a full body workout. It's not supposed to be, but I'm really not very good at spinning yet.



I bought my spindle and first batch of roving from Paradise Fibers. You can find them here. The spindle and the roving were a nice low price and they ship fast. I've since purchased more roving from Sheep Shed Studio which you can find here. They sell mill ends for $7.50 a pound (I know! Awesome!) and if you check on Craftster you'll hear nothing but goods things about the shop and the owners Carol and Carl.



Finally here are some pictures of my progress from white roving to the fugtastical purple scarf thing I hand dyed with kool-aid and crocheted to match Beanie's elf hat.



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket



Photobucket

No comments: