Saturday, August 9, 2008

Free Crochet Mushroom Pattern

Today I'm sharing a freebie. Cute and whimsical little mushroom appliques to crochet. Normally anything I do with yarn takes place in the Fall and Winter but I'm taking a sewing break for a little bit and this seems to be the next best thing to do craft wise. Also with the cold weather coming and my love of woodland clothing (full of cute critters and the like) mushrooms seemed like an ideal project.

Unfortunately after searching I couldn't find any directions for shrooms that weren't 3 dimensional so I decided to draft my own. A fellow crocheter (is that a word?) liked the little things so I offered to try and write out the pattern to share with her. Well... since it's already written up I thought I should go ahead and share with anyone interested as well. If you like the design I'd love for you to leave a comment. I'd also like to ask that you don't copy the pattern to claim as your own or to sell. Feel free to make the mushrooms to accent your own items for resale though if you'd like!

This a little grouping of various different ones that I've made. I'm currently writing up patterns for the rest but so far I only have the medium sized completed. I'll try to post the rest of the tutorials soon though so be patient with me.


Close ups. Woot! The rainbow one is made of fuzzy yarn, just so you know. My picture taking abilities are bad, but not that bad. Okay, maybe they are that bad but at least I have an excuse for this one.

One last note before I post the instructions. I have never tried to write out a crochet pattern before, so if you don't understand something or you see that I've goofed somewhere please let me know so I can correct it. Thanks and enjoy!

Medium sized Shroom Top of Mushroom:

Row 1: Chain 4, sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc in next 2 ch ( 3 stitches total) chain 1 and turn (from now on at the end of each row chain 1 and turn work)

Row 2: 2 sc in first sc, 1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in in last sc (5 stitches total)

Row 3: 1 sc in each of the five sc (five stitches)

Row 4: 1 sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in next sc, 2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in last sc (7 stitches)

Row 5: 1 sc in each sc (7 stitches)

Row 6: 1 sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in each of the next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc, 1 sc in last sc (9 stitches)

Row 7: 1 sc in each sc (9 total)

Row 8: repeat Row 7 (9 stitches)

Row 9: sc in first sc, decrease once in next two stitches (insert hook into first sc and yo, pull hook through and insert into second sc and yo again. pull hook through yo and pull through all 3 loops on hook), 1 sc in each of next four sc, decrease once in next two stitches (7 stitches total)

Row 10: 1 sc in first sc, decrease once in next two stitches, 1 sc in next sc, decrease once in next 2 stitches, 1 sc in last sc (5 stitches total) 1 sc in each in each of next 5 sc *do not turn work*, continue to work 1 sc in each row up the side of the mushroom, in top 2 sc work 1 sc in first sc, 2 sc in second sc, 1 sc in last sc, continue to sc in row ends down mushroom, slip stitch into the first sc at bottom. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Stem: Row 1: Chain 4, work 1 sc in second sc from hook, 1 sc in each of next 2 sc (3 stitches total) ch 1 turn (as above, continue to ch 1 and turn work after each row)

Row 2: 1 sc in each sc (3 stitches total)

Row 3: repeat Row 2 (3 stitches)

Row 4: 1 sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc, 3 sc in last sc (four stitches)

Row 5: 1 sc in first sc, 2 sc in each of next 2 sc, 1 sc in last sc (6 stitches)

Row 6: 1 sc in each sc (should be 6 across) *do not turn work* continue to make 1 sc in each row end up the side of the stem, 1 sc in each of 3 sc across top of stem (will make 3 stitches total), 1 sc in each row end down mushroom, slip stitch to first sc. fasten off and weave in ends. Using matching yarn or thread attach mushroom top to stem

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great tute, thanks! Good luck with the blog. Looks like you have a good start already.