Thursday, August 7, 2008

Oh happy day! I have returned.

Okay, okay. I'll be the first to admit that this whole "blog" thing may have gotten off to a rocky start. I'll even take all the blame for that. It seems it's harder to do than what I have been led to believe.

First you have to choose a host site. Check... (that was easy!) You might want to consider registering and all the fancy things like that too, otherwise you probably won't get very far with your blogging adventure. If you're like me you'll read a few topics in the forums, quickly get bored with all the technical stuff and decided to just post.

My first post was a test post. I just re-read it. I've decided that it is quite possibly the dumbest test post known to man. It was also posted quite a while ago which makes one ponder if I remember I have a blog and will I ever come back and update it?

The answer to that is both simple and complicated. Yes I know I have a blog. No, I couldn't update it. Apparently once you start your blog not only do you have to remember who your host site is but also your log in and password or else you won't be able to access it. Who comes up with these silly rules?

Alas, much to your dismay I've found the itsy bitsy slip o' paper with that info on it and can happily post random nonsense for all none of my readers to absorb. Yay you! 3 cheers for non-existent readers!!! Bet you weren't aware that you didn't exist? Good thing I'm around to clue you in. Yay me! For pretending to have a clue! And sharing!

Anywho, I've decided that my second post should sort of go along with the theme of my first post. Which if I remember correctly was something along the lines of "blah blah blah garden blah blah blah". So here goes:

My garden is um... way bigger. Cause it's been months and all since it's debut in this blog (although mere moments to you, dear non-existent reader. Freaky ain't it?). We have harvested bounty and everything. We have even processed said bounty.

Here. Let me show you.

One of our havested bounties were strawberries. Lots of em. We ate them fresh. We made homemade icecream and tossed them in. We sliced them on yogurt and put them in salads. We are getting a bit sick of them, truth be told. We (meaning I) decided the last fruits of the season should be turned into jam and then preserved. I've never canned before so it was fun, adventure and danger all rolled into one!

First you pick 4 quarts and mash them up. You should have 2 quarts when you're done. Unfortunately my colander does not measure by the quart so I had to send a couple of kids outside to pick a few more. Is scary looking, no?

You should probably measure them just to make sure you have enough. Apparently (according to the wee boy) you also should wave fingers over the mess and scream "Pocus! Pocus!" I'm not sure what you gain by doing that? Maybe it improves the flavor, I don't know. He looked like he had more experience in jam making than I so I decided to do it his way.


You add enough sugar to make a dentist squeamish and boil the h-e-double hockey stick out of it. But only for a minute. Then you add some other stuff and boil for one minute more. I had "Lake of Fire" by the Meat Puppets running through my head the whole time I did this part. Odd, huh?


We're skipping the whole "ladle boiling hot mixture into unbelivably hot jars and then set into boiling water" phase. Mainly because I injured myself even with my full attention focused on what I was doing. I can't even imagine what would have happened had I tried to document the process too. Eeek! But here is the end result. I have to wait two weeks before I can force somebody to taste it. I think it needs to ferment or something. The cute lil' jars of jam are currently residing in my dishwasher. It seems like a good place to ferment jam for two weeks, wouldn't you agree?


No comments: